How to Prepare A Traditional Yerba Mate
Here's a guide on everything you need to learn how to prepare a delicious, traditional yerba mate. You will need a mate gourd, yerba mate (loose leaves), a bombilla filter straw and a thermos (optional but ideal to maintain the temperature of the water).
How to Prepare Yerba Mate the Traditional Way:
1. Heat up the water and bring it to a simmer (around 170-180 degrees Fahrenheit).
2. While the water heats up, fill the gourd with 3/4 of yerba mate.
3. Cover the top of the mate gourd with the palm of your hand, turn the gourd over while covering it and give it a light shake. This step helps mix & blend all of the properties of the yerba together.
4. Add a little bit of cold water to the middle of the yerba in the gourd to hydrate it.
5. Place the bombilla into the mate until the filter touches the bottom, and the bombilla itself rests on the border of the gourd.
6. By now the water should be heated, which then one transfers it into the thermos.
7. For a sweeter, less bitter taste, you can add a sweetener of choice either to the yerba in the gourd, or to the water in the thermos. It is also optional to add toppings of choice such a coconut flakes, milk, orange zest, honey etc.!
8. Pour hot water into the gourd, aiming near the bombilla that is placed in the center of the yerba.
9. Enjoy your mate all day and the multitude of benefits it has to offer!